Sunday, August 19, 2012

Strawberry Balsamic Jam


Heidi Knitting
Got my jam on with Heidi. After work on Thursday we went to my apartment to do some knitting and make some jam. I fully used her for stirring the goopy goodies whilst I poured in the sugar. But for the most part she was practicing her knitting.

It smelt so divine! For my first time making jam and without any instructional help I'd have to say we did a damn fine job. Didn't take all that long from start to finish. Which might have something to do with the fact that I already had the strawberries washed, cut and cleaned; so there was none of that to slow us down. All I had to do was measure out my ingredients, prep my jars and cook.

Strawberries in a pot!
We did run into a hitch when pouring them into jars. By that I mean we ran out. So while Heidi finished cleaning off the rims and putting lids on I quickly washed more in water that made my hands hurt it was so hot. See I have this thing with glass ... I fear it'll shatter. So I was so nervous on this step I'm surprised I didn't make a bigger mess. Once we got the jam into the jars we cleaned the pot and put the jars into a water bath. This freaked even Heidi and Daniel out because the jars were doing a jig in that damn pot.

And done! They sat in the post boiled water for a wee bit then Heidi used the tongs and placed then in my mitted hands to be set on the counter to cool. Once we made sure everything was turned off Daniel and I took Heidi home with a nice warm jar of jam. I could have driven her on my motorcycle but she didn't seem to want to hop on. Not sure why!

I left the jam sitting out all night and this morning made sure all the tops were compressed and stored them in the curio cabinet. Made myself some toast and slathered on some fresh, still slightly warm strawberry jam. It set up nicely.  A soft, creamy jell that just melts on your tongue. The strawberries are very prominent and the vinegar gives a nice depth to the jam.

0 comments:

Post a Comment