Monday, June 4, 2012

Chapstick

Over the weekend I finally made my own chapstick. I still need to print labels for them but at least I have a few done to this point. I found a basic recipe in "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Country Living". Very informative book that! It shall become my bible so that when I get my farm in the not to distant future I'll be able to homestead. It should make me most happy!

I definitely think beeswax has an unusual small!

If you don't add the almond oil then Recipe 1 only fills one .15oz tube. And I'm thinking it will make it a little on the firm side:  which I like so it's no big deal. Recipe 2 which I found from "A Sonoma Garden" fills 7 tubes. I did find a challenge when pouring into the tubes. Not so much making a mess as leaving what looks like an uneven consistency. Being my first time however, I'll forgive myself for the imperfections and strive to do better next time. The four I made today shall be given out to friends. Of course keeping one for myself! That was after all the whole point in making my own chapstick. I think I shall try adding the oils next time for a larger batch and a softer stick.


Recipe 1:

1tsp beeswax
1/2 tsp honey
2 tsp almond oil/ coconut oil/ olive oil/ ets.
1 vitamin E capsule
1-2 drops essential oil of your choice


Recipe 2:

1 1/2 tsp Beeswax
1 7/8 tsp coconut oil
1 1/8 tsp cocoa butter
3 tsp olive oil
3 capsules Vitamin E


Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment