Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Breeches


            I woke up this morning; did a little straightening up, made some hot tea, fed the wee fishies and turned my computer on. It's time to make those breeches! I know it was to be part of my Military Woman costume for rendezvous but I never got around to making them. The embroidery on that skirt just took to long. Thankfully I'm not embroidering this piece. Though I did think about it. In the end I decided it would be to foppish for any dignified military persons of the 18th century.
            I got my muslin out to create a mock up. I must keep in mind my cousins words at all times while this is being make. "Don't make them too tight!" We had those issues with the boys visiting camp. >.>
            Sadly like all patterns I must make modifications. The most notable is the cuff (I'm sure it's got some special name but I don't know it so please bare with me!). The pattern is asking for bias fold tape. If I wish the cuff to match the breeches this wont' work since I can't find bias tape in this gold color. So I have to make the cuffs like they would have back then. It really works out for the best since 9 out of 10 18th century breeches I looked at have this cute little tab and a fourth button which the pattern doesn't have.

0 comments:

Post a Comment